David Meerman Scott, the successful author behind the book “The new rules of Marketing and PR’ that has changed the online world in 2007, going to do it again with his new book FANOCRACY, which he wrote with his daughter Reiko Scott?
I interviewed the successful author David Meerman Scott to my podcast to talk about his new book FANOCRACY.
I was incredibly excited about that interview. Not only because ‘The new rules of marketing and PR’ is an excellent book. It is. But through the last three years interviewing most successful entrepreneurs, this book was mentioned quite a few times as the trigger to these successful entrepreneurs successes and as one of the most recommended books.
During these last three years, while building (for the first time) my online business, I felt upset I didn’t have the chance to read this book earlier and take advantage of being among the firsts to implement its (then revolutionary) concept.
So now, when David Meerman Scott’s new book is about to publish, I have the privilege to be among the first to implement it.
Do the new concept David and his daughter Reiko Scott (who is about to become a doctor and a scientist searching some of the groundbreaking human behavioral assumptions) going to generate a new marketing revolution?
On my interview with Jeff Bullas who is a very famous social media influencers, Jeff talked a lot about David Meerman Scott’s book ‘The new rules of Marketing and PR.’
The huge influence of David’s book ‘The new rules of Marketing and PR’
Jeff Bullas is one of the most famous success stories about taking advantage (back in 2008) of the new worlds of content and social networks.
This was Jeff’s answer when I asked him what is he most passionate about:
- “My company started as a passion project. It started with reading David Meerman Scott’s, “The New Rules of Marketing and PR” in 2008. He talked about the power of content to attract the audience instead of having to go and chase them with outbound or cold calls and other different tactics that have been around for decades.
- David Meerman Scott’s concept of sharing content sounded like a good idea because most businesses used cold calls. I came upon Tim Ferries, who I worked for and he liked the idea and the last piece of inspiration was reading a blog post of HubSpot saying that if you don’t have a clue of what to start a business on than start a blog... “What’s a blog...?” So I discovered that a blog was just a place to actually create and share ideas with the world and the topic was inspired by my observation about what was happening with social networks; everyone was obsess with Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram, and the topic that I start to create content around was social media and the tech world.
- At that time, I was actually unemployed; a few weeks later, I got a job at a digital agency where we built e-commerce sites for companies, but I continued to write and create content and share it.
- In 2013, I started to focus on my blog, so the “Passion project” became a full time business and it’s been growing ever since; we have been having fun and it doesn’t feel like work. We’ve built a virtual team; we have editor, we have a marketing manager, we have copywriters, a tech guy, and a marketing automation person.”
Douglas Burdett – host of the Marketing Books Podcast and a very respectable marketing influencer answered my question about
which person or a book impacted Douglas’s “customer focus” and success the most.
Among the 2 persons and books that influenced him most, Douglas talked about ‘The new rules of Marketing and PR.’
- “When I started to realize that the industry is totally changing and thought about what should I do next, and I read David Meerman Scott’s The New Rules of Marketing and PR and that help me understand the new world. As a result, David Meerman Scott was the first guest of this podcast.”
Will the new book FANOCRACY be a game changer for businesses?
David gave me a very good reason to believe that the new book FANOCRACY is going to reveal the new secrets and concept that will win the hearts and minds of our customers in the coming future.
“I think I’m successful because I have the ability to see patterns in the universe before other people see them“
David told me the story behind the new book:
- “Over the last five years, I’ve been thinking very, very deeply about what’s coming next after the social media and real-time revolution. The reason I’ve been thinking so deeply about this is that The New Rules of Marketing and PR is the book I’m most known for. That book originally came out in 2007 and now it’s in its sixth edition.
- The New Rules of Marketing and PR has influenced a lot of people but it has also led to a new online world that I think is becoming more polarized. It’s becoming a place where people are just trying to send another email, another piece of spam. They are trying to push out their content in inappropriate ways. There’s even inappropriate use of artificial intelligence.
- I was recently on a site and didn’t even realize, until after a couple of minutes, that I was talking to a robot. And in the political world, the political discourse online is becoming so nasty and mean, even from the President of the U.S.
- What I recognized is that the pendulum has swung in the direction of superficial online
- But people are hungry for a true human connection. So, I’ve been thinking deeply and writing and researching about how people can have a much more human connection with other people, as well as how businesses can have a much more human connection with their customers”
And then, I asked him to tell his biggest success story:
- “I have the ability to see patterns in the universe that others don’t see. There were three times when this was really significant. The first time was 20 years ago. The whole world was talking about internet marketing as advertising but I had worked in the news business and I saw internet marketing as publishing content. I saw it completely differently. I saw a pattern in the universe that other people weren’t seeing and that’s what led me to write The New Rules of Marketing and PR. It was the very first book that talked about content marketing or social media marketing. It’s arguably the most popular book on that subject; it has sold 400,000 copies in English and was published in 29 languages.
- The second time I saw patterns in the universe that other people weren’t seeing was 10 years ago, when a few things happened. One thing was that Twitter started to become popular. Twitter is a real-time social networking tool. The second thing was that Google started to index the search engine in real-time. I saw those two things as being unbelievably important. I wrote a book about it, called Real-Time Marketing and PR, and I invented the concept of newsjacking.
- The third time I saw a pattern in the universe that other people weren’t seeing was recently, around this new book, Fanocracy. I was seeing that the pendulum had swung too far in the direction of superficial online communications at a time when people were hungry for true human connection. I really wanted to dig into the subject of how people connect, and I recognized that people who are fans of something will become truly connected. That’s what led to the book Fanocracy.
- My “6 people” say that David is successful because he wrote these books. I don’t think so. I think I’m successful because I have the ability to see things before other people see them and then I write about them. I get the idea out into the universe.”